For almost all of us the word “family” holds vast amounts of
emotion; for some there is great joy with the word, for others great pain. However, for the majority of us it is pretty
much a mix of the two.
Take me, for example; I grew up the youngest of 5 kids in a
normal Middle American family… my dad was an alcoholic and my parents divorced
when I was 5…like I said, normal. Needless
to say my childhood was a bit rocky. Only
because of a very loving and forgiving God and wife has adulthood been somewhat
smoother. I have, by the grace of God,
been privileged to raise 3 somewhat normal, healthy kids who I love more than
words can express.
But when I, even for a moment, stop and ponder all the
emotions I have around the word family, they look something like this: Joy, fulfillment, sorrow, longing, anger,
hopelessness, guilt, shame, regret, past bitterness...just to name a few!
Now maybe you grew up in a picture-perfect family, if so, I am
happy for you. But for most of us our
families are pretty broken and dysfunctional. And whether we like to admit it or not, some
of us had a little bit to do with that brokenness and dysfunction! I have, greatly hurt and disappointed members
of my family and in turn, I have been hurt and disappointed by them; especially
those members that I have looked up to or been in authority under, like
parents.
Now when I stop and think about my church family it’s pretty
much the same. If you have been in the church for a while go ahead… go back and
read the last paragraph with the church family in mind…does it read the same
for you?
If you are new to the faith don’t lose hope. You see as humans we live in a fallen world
and we are all marred and stained by it. All of us have been hurt and sinned against
and if we are honest have also done the hurting and the sinning. And it is no different in the church; it is
made up of people who are fallen.
So where does that leave us? Am I telling you that the family of God is no
different? By no means! What I am saying
is that many of Jesus’ followers have done what God, many times, in the bible
warns us not to do. And that is not to become like the world around us. This is
a whole other subject. But simply put, many
of Jesus’ followers have mistaken that warning to mean, “Don’t look and act
like the world”, and it does mean that to some degree. But what God is really saying is, “Don’t THINK
like the world around us”, don’t absorb the world’s ways of thinking. Don’t be;
critical, power hungry, selfish, arrogant and don't act better than others; that is
what the world does.
The Apostle Paul says that even though you might be able to
do all kinds of great miracles; if you don’t have love for each other, you have
and are… NOTHING!!! True familial love
is to be our constant and highest goal.
The Apostle John says about Christians, “You will know us by
our love for each other…" Why does he say that? Because it is really hard to LOVE… to be
selfless, to overlook faults and to love each other unconditionally! So if we REALLY love each other, the world
will know that the power of Jesus is at work among us.
Jesus, who loved us when we were still his enemies and who
died for us; his enemies, is the Gospel! And that should be massively transformational. Jesus calls us to form a new family, an “incarnational
(Jesus in us) community” that is distinct and different. It's to be known for its love for God and for
each other. With a love so powerful, it transforms us into a new close-knit
family, whose love for each other is so great that JESUS is the only possible
explanation…
With this kind of love at work in our hearts, between us, in our Small
Groups and Church gatherings, Jesus will become irresistible to those around us
and we won’t be able to contain the flood.
That was great dad! Very well written and a real eye-opener. I love you!
ReplyDeleteYou wanna be a comedian?
Thanks Son! well, you know i like to be funny...
Delete